Prices incl. VAT plus shipping costs
This product is not available at the moment. Please contact us.
- Order number: OEK10036
- Available as Video on demand:
- 2 - DVD Set
- Subtitles in 31 languages (see below)
- more than 6 hours Extras!
- PAL, 92 min
Format: PAL, Stereo, 2-DVD-Set
Duration: 92 Minutes
Bonus material: more than 6 hours (details see below)
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Subtitles: 31 languages (see below)
Director: Franny Armstrong
with: Pete Postlethwaite
Photography: Frank Messmer, Daniel Pfisterer, Matthias Kälin, Marcello Weiss
Animation Directors: Martyn Pick & Jonathan Hodgsoneinz Kurz
Music: Chris Brierley
Production: Spanner Films, Lizzie Gillett, John Battsek (One day in September)
Year of Production: 2008
The Age of Stupid is a 2008 film by Director Franny Armstrong (McLibel, Drowned Out) and first-time producer Lizzie Gillett. It is a co-production between Franny's company Spanner Films and Executive Producer John Battsek's (One Day In September) company Passion Pictures.
Oscar-nominated Pete Postlethwaite stars as a man living alone in the devastated future world of 2055, looking at old footage from 2008 and asking: why didn’t we stop climate change when we had the chance?
'The Age Of Stupid’ is the new documentary-drama-animation hybrid from Director Franny Armstrong (McLibel, Drowned Out) and Oscar-winning Producer John Battsek (One Day In September, Live Forever, In the Shadow of the Moon).
Oscar-nominated Pete Postlethwaite (In The Name of the Father, Brassed Off, The Usual Suspects) stars as an old man living in the devastated world of 2055. He watches 'archive' footage from 2008 and asks: Why didn't we stop climate change when we had the chance?
Runaway climate change has ravaged the planet by 2055. Pete plays the founder of The Global Archive, a storage facility located in the (now melted) Arctic, preserving all of humanity's achievements in the hope that the planet might one day be habitable again. Or that intelligent life may arrive and make use of all that we’ve achieved. He pulls together clips of “archive” news and documentary from 1950-2008 to build a message showing what went wrong and why. He focuses on six human stories:
- Alvin DuVernay, is a paleontogolist helping Shell find more oil off the coast of New Orleans. He also rescued more than 100 people after Hurricane Katrina, which, by 2055, is well known as one of the first “major climate change events”.
- Jeh Wadia in Mumbai aims to start-up a new low-cost airline and gets a million Indians flying.
- Layefa Malemi lives in absolute poverty in a small village in Nigeria from which Shell extracts tens of millions of dollars worth of oil every week. She dreams of becoming a doctor, but must fish in the oil-infested waters for four years to raise the funds.
- Jamila Bayyoud, aged 8, is an Iraqi refugee living on the streets of Jordan after her home was destroyed - and father killed - during the US-led invasion of 2003. She’s trying to help her elder brother make it across the border to safety.
- Piers Guy is a windfarm developer from Cornwall fighting the NIMBYs of Middle England.
- 82-year-old French mountain guide Fernand Pareau has witnessed his beloved Alpine glaciers melt by 150 metres.
Film Synopsis generously given by Spanner Films
Arabic, Bengali, Brazillian Portugese, Chinese, (Hanji, and, traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Fasi, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Kiswahili, (Swahili), Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbo, Croat, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese
The Making Of
- The Age Of Stupid
- 1% Premiere
- War Animation
- Photo Gallery
- Eco Alvin
- Fernand's Trees
- Wat Story & Reunion
- "We Want Water"
- Fernand The Mountain Guide
- Bored Archivist
- George Monbiot: Rioting For Less
- How Funny?
Before & After
- The Archivist
- The End?
- Consumerism Animation
- Piers & Lisa
- Jen's Ventures
- George Monbiot
- Richard Heinberg
- Ed vs Franny
Right to Reply
- Piers Guy
- Alvin Duvernay III
- Fernand Pareau
- The Age Of Stupid
- Stupid USA Premiere
- Drowned Out
- The Yes Men Fix The World
- Heavy Load
- Black Gold
- The End Of The Line
Other Climate Films
- Baked Alaska
- Cheat Neutral
- Wake Up, Freak Out
- Coal Story
- Greenpeace In Action
- Story Of Stuff
- Tck Tck Tck
- 10:10 Launch
- Squash The Place
- Copenhagen Kids
- Maldives Message
- 1% Premiere
- Eric In The Arctic
- For The Age of Stupid...
- Griersons - Best Cinema Doc 2009 (Nominated)
- Middle East International Film Festival 09 (Jury Special Mention)
- First prize was $100,000 - shucks.
- British Independent Film Awards - Best Documentary (Pending)
- Birds Eye View Film Festival - Best Documentary 2009 (Won)
- Griersons - Best Green Doc 2008 (Won) "The out and out winner this year was chosen for the sheer scale of its ambition and the verve of its realization. On every level, THE AGE OF STUPID is a powerful and unforgettable film that leaves you honour bound to force governments to take action and that the judges recommend everybody must see." - Grierson Jury
- Sunny Side of the Doc - Best Green Doc 2008
- Sunny Side of the Doc - Film Most Likely To Be Cinema Hit 2008
- Sunchild International Environmental Festival - First Prize
For Franny Armstrong...
- Guardian - Eco Hero of the Decade (nominated)
- Nominated: Franny Armstrong, Al Gore, Attenborough, Caroline Lucas, James Lovelock etc. Winner: Caroline Lucas
- New Statesman - 20 Green Heroes
- "As the Copenhagen debate intensifies, the New Statesman’s panel of environmental experts have chosen their heroes and villains – politicians, activists, companies and institutions."
- Edie - Green Personality of the Year 2009 (won)
Nominated: Barack Obama (!), Kevin McCloud, Jonathan Porritt. Winner: Franny Armstrong
- ITN - Women in Film & TV, Achievement of the Year 2009 (won)
- Wild & Scenic, John de Graaf Environmental Filmmaker of the Year 2010 (won)
- "We decided to choose you for not only your breadth of work - we have shown both McLibel and Drowned Out at Wild & Scenic in the last few years to standing room only crowds - but also your tenacity, creativity, and true dedication to the promotion of The Age of Stupid. You truly created a viral marketing high energy that is to be admired by any filmmaker. Uou have achieved some awesome success - and you must know that you have touched people with your films and have inspired people to make differences in their lives for the sake of our planet."
For the UK Premiere...
- Event Awards - Best Green Event (Winner)
- PR Week Awards - Live Brand Experience (Winner)